- Describe ways to include details and varied word choice in writing
- Identify clear and effective writing styles in writing samples
In this practice exercise, you explore the use of variation in writing.
Answers to exercise questions
Step 1 Watch the video tutorial.Achieving Variety
Step 2 Revise the sentences.Be sure to provide variety in sentence structure and length. Combine and expand the sentences with details to add interest and variety during revision:
- Washington is the only state named after a president. Many cities and counties are named after presidents.
- California is bordered by the Pacific Ocean. There are many islands, waterways, and rivers, not to mention the evergreen forests near the coast.
- The car battery would not start. The battery was dead. I called a tow truck.
- She was not like her sister; in fact, they were total opposites.
- Ricky Martin will remain my favorite singer although he has fallen out of fashion and I think he is terrific. He has done some free concerts for good causes, too.
- I took a trip to Petsmart. It surprised me that I was the only one looking for hamsters. I wondered if no one realized. They make terrific pets.
- The heat is unrelenting. The ground is cracked. It has been dry since the beginning of October. The desert seems to be covered with a fine reddish dust.
- Holly was told she was going to be a beauty someday. At 16, she was thin. She was severe. She wore thick glasses down on her nose. Her shoulder bones showed through her shirt. They seemed to puncture her skin.
- The guitar had been a gift from Aunt Alice. It was when Joanne turned fifteen. Aunt Alice bought it used in town. The strings were broken. There was a scratch on the outside.
- Late winter was clammy. The cold went through clothes to the skin. Maple sugaring time was near. Buds popped out on the trees.
Step 3 Record your reaction.In a one- to two-paragraph response, record your reaction to the information in the video. Did you find it helpful? Why or why not?
Step 4 Save and submit your assignment.When you have completed the assignment, save a copy for yourself in an easily accessible place and submit a copy to your instructor using the dropbox.