Read/review the following resources for this activity:
Initial Post Instructions
The reasoning used in inductive generalization is based on empirical observations and the inferences we draw from such observations. As such, it is closely allied to the scientific method. It is also the method used in polls and surveys; reports of the results of these polls and surveys can heavily influence decision making in health professions and other areas of public opinion.
For the initial post, address the following:
– If we simply read a report of a poll, how can we know if the poll is reliable? What criteria do we use to analyze them?
– What part do polls and surveys play in medical research?
– Of what value are public opinion polls?
– What are the similarities in the two? The differences?
– Where does the analogy break down?
The website links provided in the Required Resources are a good starting place for your research.
Follow-Up Post Instructions
Respond to at least two peers or one peer and the instructor. Further the dialogue by providing more information and clarification.