POSSIBLE VOCABULARY WORDS
You will be asked to define some of the following words...
The Old South
A farming area in the South American region different from other regions due to the enforcement of southern laws
- A period in history, from 1863–1877 that involved the freeing of slaves and the vision of President Lincoln to enfranchise all freed men.
- A term used to refer to the period right before the civil war of 1861 in the Southern United States.
- It refers to the mixing of people of different ethnicities and racial groups through sexual activity, cohabitation or lawful marriage.
- A civil rights organization, created in 1909 by W.E.B Du Bois, Ida Bell, Mary White and others for the sole aim of the advancement of all colored people. It is the most significant organization in the politics of African Americans.
The Hays Code
The hays code was a set of moral rules and guiding principles that spelled what could and could not be done during the filming of movies and other motion pictures that targeted a public audience in the US. The code was popular during the years 1922 to 1945.
- It refers to the separation of public amenities and opportunities based on race, class or ethnic backgrounds.
- A genre in film that involved the characterization of blacks as heroes rather than sidelined supporting characters or the victims of rough treatment.
- A parody of dark-toned comic films where a vigilante youngster dresses as a raccoon for the aim of hiding his identity to his archrival.
The Tragic Mulatto
- An outdated description dating back through the 19th century, of an individual of mixed race with black and white parents. More often than not this persons lack the sense of belonging and tend to have suicidal ideations.
- A term used to describe a woman of black heritage who took care of the children of white people.
- A misrepresentation used to describe black men who were heavily masculine and refused to bend to the authority and will of the whites. The men were said to be violent and the situation the achievement of calmness came only by the murder of the individual. The term was common after the reconstruction epoch.
The Ku Klux Klan
- A white supremacist group that existed from 1866 and employed terror with an aim to restore white supremacy by unleashing violence on black schools that symbolized autonomy, and, freed slaves.
- Griffith is an American writer and director famous for the film, The Birth of a Nation.
Melvin Van Peebles
- Melvin is an American actor, writer and filmmaker most famous for the film, Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song.
- Lee is an American actor,