Watch each of the following videos and read the article. After that is completed, answer thequestions at the bottom of the page.
- Brene Brown – sympathy/empathy:
- Empathy video:
- Sinclair, S., Beamer, K., Hack, T. F., McClement, S., Raffin Bouchal, S., Chochinov, H. M., & Hagen, N. A. (2017). Sympathy, empathy, and compassion: A grounded theory study of palliative care patients’ understandings, experiences, and preferences.Palliative medicine,31(5), 437–447. doi:10.1177/0269216316663499. Retrieved from:
Focus on Intro, Results, Conclusion
- Empathy video – through their eyes:
- Giraffe stages of grief:
- Using 100 – 150 words per question, answer the following questions using complete sentences:
- Using the resources listed above, compare and contrast sympathy, empathy, and compassion.
- Based on the videos, how has your opinion of sympathy, empathy, and compassion changed? Use one personal example to explain.
- When and how will you apply sympathy, empathy, and/or compassion in your daily interactions with others as a nursing student or nurse?